- Published: Saturday, 09 June 2012 21:22
I'm not much into cooking so whenever I come across quick, easy to throw together recipe that is healthy, I am all over it! I make up a huge batch of this (and usually double the recipe) and it keeps for a long time in the fridge. This is a great snack sprinkled on Greek Yogurt and berries, great as a cereal, sprinkled over fresh fruit or eating straight out of the container. Enjoy!
Homemade Granola Recipe
Makes 4 pints
3 C. Old fashioned rolled oats (don't use quick oats)
1/4 C. Sesame seeds
1/4 C. Sunflower seeds
1/2 C. flaked, unsweetened coconut
1/2 C. Sliced almonds (I buy them whole and crush them a bit in the morter and pestle)
2 T. Flax meal
1 C. Chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts)
1/3 C. Vegetable oil (I always use EV Olive Oil and it works great - doesn't taste different and is healthier!)
1/2 C. Local honey
1 C. Dried Fruit (blueberries, cherries, cranberries, raisin assortment, etc)
1 T. Vanilla Extract
2 t. Cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients except cinnamon.
- In a medium saucepan, heat honey and oil until honey is dissolved and bubbly around the pan edges. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract and cinnamon. Stir well.
- Add all wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Lightly spray a cookie sheet with oil and spread granola mixture over entire sheet.
- Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and delicious, stirring ever 10 minutes or so. Rotate the pan once during cooking.
- Best to store in refrigerator or freezer to maintain crispiness.